Technical Deployment Project Manager
Status: Temporary Employee
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Project: June 21 – December 21
Grameen Foundation’s Technology for Microfinance (Tech4MF) team is transforming technology from a barrier into an accelerator for microfinance institutions. The team focuses on educating MFI leaders on the long-term strategic value of information systems, training their staff to successfully align information technology with their business operations, and building a network of locally based technology providers and a worldwide online community to support these institutions. At the heart of the program is Mifos™, our open source software platform that gives MFIs a cost-effective, flexible management information system (MIS) that can support their needs today and into the future.
Mifos has been deployed successfully at MFIs worldwide in countries such as India, Philippines, Tunisia, and Lebanon. The Tech4MF team is now embarking on two new Mifos enterprise deployments at MFIs in Nairobi, Kenya.
We are currently seeking an experienced technical project manager to manage the end-to-end deployments from June - December. This role will oversee the implementation process through the entire lifecycle from project planning through configuration, feature delivery, legacy data migration, user acceptance testing and a production pilot at a sample of branches. Additionally, reflective of most start-up environments, this is very much a hands-on position, with technical project management and in-the-trenches tactical work required.
The ideal candidate should have a proven ability to manage the full lifecycle of a systems integration software deployment, ideally in an international context. The ideal candidate has extensive experience with application configuration and integration with other software solutions, excellent communication and collaboration skills, managing multiple projects at once, and comfort operating independently with remote management.
This is an amazing opportunity to put your experience and passion to work in the fight against global poverty.
This role will report to the Professional Services Director located in Seattle, Washington. The engagement will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Reporting and relationships: The Technical Deployment PM will report to the Director of Professional Services, Technology for Microfinance team.
Availability: The Technical PM will be expected to work a standard workweek of 37.5 hours plus additional hours as necessary to get the job done. This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya and may require travel of up to 20% regionally.
Essential Job Functions:
• Lead the technical implementation of Mifos at two MFIs, ensuring both MFIs go live on-time and on-budget. Key responsibilities include:
o Manage the overall project planning and schedule
o Infrastructure assessment and remediation planning
o Product configuration
o Integration of Mifos and core operational business processes
o Oversee development of data migration scripts and ensure successful data migration
o Ensure feature and report delivery
o Facilitate end-user training
o End user acceptance testing and live pilot
• Coordinate and manage the execution of the activities of GF and MFI project team members and consultants. For example,
o Work closely with on-site T4MF accounting consultant responsible for accounting package selection, configuration and integration with Mifos.
o Work closely with other T4MF Professional Services team members who will conduct IT Strategy analysis, conduct Business Process Management workshops, and document Mifos business case
o Manage remote engineering staff in India to generate custom reports
o Manage remote engineering staff in India to develop data migration scripts and oversee successful migration of legacy data
o Work closely with engineering staff in the US who will build custom features.
• Plan and manage the necessary human resources for the project. Work closely with the IT team at each MFI to ensure on-the-job skill transfer so that the MFI is successful managing the technology platform after pilot. Identify needed technical resources (power users) at the MFI to operate the software and provide internal help desk support.
• Become knowledgeable regarding Mifos functionality, foundational technology, and active in the open source community - able to install and configure Mifos locally.
• Share and document challenges, learnings, and best practices to other GF Technology Program Managers.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission
• Strong project management experience in technology; technology-related international development preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and execute software application implementations at customer site (strong project management, client management, training, with full implementation lifecycle) with limited supervision.
• Ability to effectively communicate priorities, delivery expectations, risks and concerns to multiple stakeholders
• Strong technical skills - solid understanding of SQL, ability to read and understand data models and relational databases, and familiarity with web technologies a plus.
• Strong relationship management skills to build deep, learning relationships with key customer - comfortable presenting to a room of business executives and discussing needs with villagers in rural locations.
• Proven ability to lead and succeed in a collaborative, startup-paced environment
• Exceptional communication skills – Fluency in English, knowledge of local Kenyan dialects a plus.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree in computer science, or related field, a plus.
• Five or more years of related systems integration project management experience or equivalent technical training, education, and/or experience.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Interested candidates may apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “IT PM - Kenya” in the subject line. No Calls Please.